Thursday, September 26, 2013

Twitter Privacy

Social Media

Last night I was at a late night cheer practice for my competitive cheerleading team Ohio Extreme in Avon, Ohio. Mind you, I am physically and mentally exhausted from trying to balance my first semester of college and keep up with the commitment of a highly competitive team an hour away that I bend over backwards for. Naturally being stressed out at school, never having spare time to hang out with friends. I vent on social media.

 When you look at twitter news feeds its blown up with complaints, fights, and whining about personal problems. So I think to myself I'm not doing anything wrong just coping with stress by venting to an audience that nobody cares. But the thing is some people do care, there creepy. When I go on social media I don't sit there and stalk peoples feeds but apparently some people do.

Back to my practice randomly the coach goes on a rampage about what one of my teammates posted on twitter. Then out of no where completely unexpected she calls me out. I'm thinking to myself what the heck I didn't post anything on twitter about cheerleading, I barley ever even use the site. I'm thinking to myself what the heck did I post, she didn't specify my situation like she did my teammates so people are coming up to me asking what I posted my response Is I have no idea.

Naturally I am upset at the situation. I think its ridiculous first off that my coach is stalking my social media and knows more about my news feeds then I do. I'm complaining to people on my team about the situation. Then one girl rudely mentions my word choice in my tweets. First off, why do you stalk what I tweet? Yes I am putting it out there for anyone to view. But I don't expect someone to be able to quote every tweet I've posted within the past two months. This teammate goes onto tell me that my language affects the program and is a bad reflection on the gym.

Why would anyone honestly care though? Everyone I am around cusses even some of my professors. I know a lot of successful people in life that swear. My family swears why does it matter if I swear. How would they know I even cheer there? I guess there are ways of finding out.

My point to this story is you may not realize it but there are a lot of social media stalkers out there. Technology and Digital media provide us with social networks to connect with our friends and family to let them know how where feeling and what's going on. When really its not just our friends and family out there viewing our feeds some people just have no life and jump into your issues or problems. It could be anyone even someone you don't want viewing your information, a coach, a teacher, an employer. You don't want to put anything out there that you don't want everyone to see.

To go along with this more and more jobs are starting to search names through systems that check your social media throughout the past three years before they hire you. The conflict with Social Justice here is how is that fair to intertwine your personal and worklife. I feel that employers should only worry about how you act in there workforce. Its not there concern what you do outside in your own time. I view this as completely wrong, I think there should be a stop to this.

I know this experience has taught me to make my profiles private and to watch what I post. But my question does making your profiles private stop employers from hacking into your accounts? But that's a blogpost to be done a different week.

No comments:

Post a Comment